Kings Regiment in historical military prints by Cranston Fine Arts of the
Manchester Regiment and the Kings Liverpool Regiment in Victorian uniform
prints by Harry Payne.
A West Suffolk regiment-the 63rd-had
for its linked battalion the 96th; and these were combined as
the Manchester Regiment in 1881. The
first-mentioned was originally a 2nd battalion to the 8th,
and became independent under its late number in 1758, receiving the county
name of “West Suffolk” in 1782. “General
Wolfe’s Regiment,” as it had been once called, first came under fire
in the expedition to the West Indies in 1759, when Martinique, Guadaloupe,
Grenadam St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and many other islands, such as Defeada
and Santos, were captured. It
returned home after these exploits, but was sent back to take part in the
war of Independence, fighting at Bunker’s Hill, Brooklyn, Brandywine,
Fort Clinton, New Jersey, Charleston, Hobkirk’s Hill, and Eutaw Springs.
Men were heavily weighted in those days.
Those of the 63rd twice “returned to the charge, in
the middle of a hot summer’s day, encumbered with three days’
provisions, their knapsacks on their backs, which, together with cartouche
box, ammunition, and firelock, may be estimated at 125lb. Weight.
Many of the men, too, served as Mounted Infantry, under Colonel
Tarleton, one of the most enterprising of the “partisan” leaders in
the war; and they behaved with conspicuous gallantry at the affair of
Sherar’s Ferry in 1780.
In 1794 the regiment served in Holland, and fought at Nimeguen, but
returned to the West Indies in the following year, sharing in Sir Ralph
Abercromby’s expedition 1796, and in the defence of Honduras in 1798;
after which it came home reduced to only 150 men.
Recruited to full strength, it again served under Abercromby in the
Holland campaign, seeing much hard fighting at the Helder, Zuyp,
Schagerburg, Bergen-op-Zoom, and Egmont-op-Zee.
The expedition to Ferrol gave the regiment
its next employment, and during the operations Sergeant-Major Nugent was
promoted for gallantry in having disarmed and made prisoners two Spanish
sentries. But its West Indian
services were not yet completed. After
the capture of Madeira in 1807, it again assisted in the capture of
Martinique two years later-when the articles of surrender were signed by
Major O’Rourke of the 63rd-and at Guadaloupe, St. Martin, and
St. Eustatia; but on the outbreak of hostilities again in 1815, the 63rd
for the third time shared in
the capture of Guadaloupe, when “the eagles and standards of the
French” were surrendered, and Captain Lynch with the light company
covered the landing at Bailiffe, and checked the advance of three hundred
French soldiers, who had been sent to oppose the debarkation.
In 1819 the regiment came home, and, after general service on
various stations, it was sent to Burmah in 1838, and suffered loss in the
fighting at Moulmein.
In the Crimean campaign the 63rd was
present at the Alma, Inkerman, and through out the whole siege of
Sevastopol, losing altogether 947 off all ranks during the war.
In the Afghan War it joined the 2nd division of the
Kandahar force, but was not present in any of the more important actions.
From India it was transferred to Egypt in 1882.
The 63rd had a 2nd battalion from 1804 to
1814, but this saw no active service.
The 96th was recruited in
Manchester in 1824 and was preceded by five of the same number-viz, the
first, which served from 1760 to 1763; the second, from 1780 to 1783; the
third, from 1793 to 1798; the fourth, formed from a 2nd
battalion of the 52nd, and numbered the 96th in
1803, but disbanded as the 95th in 1818; and the fifth, raised
in 1798 as the “Queen’s Germans,” was called the 97th in
1802, and disappeared as the 96th (“Queen’s Own”) in
1818. The last saw service in
Egypt in1801, and in the Peninsula. It
bore the name of the “British Musketeers,” and from it comes the
Sphinx badge, and the words “Egypt” and “Peninsula,” which appear
on the appointments, etc.
The work of the present battalion, as far as active service goes,
began in 1844, when a detachment-the rest of the regiment being in New
South Wales-was sent to New Zealand, and fought at Kororarika and Stokes
Pah. In 1881, as the 2nd battalion of the Manchester
Regiment, it was sent to Egypt, and formed part of the garrison of
Alexandria during the operations which led to the battle of Tel-el-Kebirand
the fall of Cairo. Since then
it has seen no active service.
The badge of the “Fleur-de0lys,” formerly
worn by the 63rd, is supposed to have been bestowed in
commemoration of its long and brilliant services in the West Indies
against the French; but its use was forbidden in 1856 “because written
authority sanctioning its wear could no be found.”
The coatee was replaced in that year by the tunic, and it was
certainly worn before that date on the former by the officers and
sergeant-major. It is
scarcely likely it would have been used without permission, and some might
well have been granted; but the only record disappeared when the
regimental baggage was lost at Helvoetsluys in 1795.
The green facings of the 63rd and the yellow of the 96th
were altered to white in 1881. Those
of the 63rd had been first black, then very deep green (1768),
with white and green lace, and deep green with silver lace in 1813.
Gold lace was worn after 1832.
The badges are the arms of the city of Manchester, and the Sphinx
with “Egypt,” which was worn by the 96th, but can only have
been derived from the regiment that was disbanded in 1818; an
eight-pointed star, however, bearing the number, was once the decoration
of the buttons and breast-plate of the 63rd. The star was worn in remembrance of its good work under
Tarleton from 1775 to 1781. The
button now bear the Garterand its motto, and within it the Sphinx and
“Egypt,” crowned. The
Sphinx also appears on the collar on an eight-pointed star, on the
waist-plate with the name of the regiment, and on the forage-cap.
The helmet-plate bears the arms of the city of Manchester.
The 6th Royal Lancashire Militia,
raised in 1855, furnishes the 3rd and 4th
battalions. The volunteer
battalions are the 4th Lancashire, Manchester (green and
scarlet); the 6th Lancashire, Manchester (scarlet and yellow);
the 7th Lancashire, Ashton-under-Lyne (scarlet and white); the
16th Lancashire, Manchester (scarlet and white); the 20th
Lancashire, Ardwick (green and scarlet); and the 22nd
Lancashire Oldham (scarlet and white).
The 63rd once had the name of the “Bloodsuckers.”
The depot was at Ashton-under-Lyne
THE KING'S (LIVERPOOL) REGIMENT
The regiment was raised in 1685 as the
Princess Anne of Denmark's Regiment, becoming in 1751 the 8th of
Regimental Battle Honours
1701 - 1715, Blenheim, Ramillies,
Ourdenarde and Malplaquet during the War of Spanish Succession
1740 - 1748 battle of Dettingen
during the War of Austrian Succession.
1803 - 1815 Martinique during
1809, during the Napoleonic Wars.
1812 - 1814, Niagara during the American
war of 1812.
1857 - 1858, At Delhi and Lucknow
during the Indian Mutiny
1878 - 1880 Battle of Piewar Kotal,
in Afghanistan during the Second Afghan war
1885 - 1887 The Third Burma War
1899 - 1902 Ladysmith during the
1914 - 1918 Retreat from Mons, Aisne. Marne Ypres (1914, 1915 and 1917)
Festubert, Loos, Soome
(1916 and 1918) Arras Scarpe, and Cambrai
1919, Third Aghan War of 1919
1939 - 1945 Normandy landings,
Battle of Cassino, Trasimene Line, Tuori, Forli, Rimini LIne, Athens,
Chindits operations,1943, and 1944 during the second world War
1950 - 1953 Battle for The Hook
VICTORIA CROSS AWARDS.
Nine Victoria Cross's have been won, the
first three were during the Boer war, and Six during the First World War.
Kings (Liverpool Regiment)
The increase to the army on the outbreak of
Monmouth’s rebellion led to the formation of this regiment by Lord
Ferrars, and it was first named the “Princess Anne of Denmark’s
Regiment of Foot.” Its
early history is remarkable for the stout resistance made by Colonel
Beaumont and Captains Packe, Orme, Post, Cook, and Pastor to the attempted
packing of their companies with Irish Roman Catholic recruits.
This occurred at Portsmouth, and these “Portsmouth captains”
were removed to Windsor Castle for trial, and were dismissed the service;
but the colonel was reinstated by William 3rd.
In the Irish campaign it fought at Carrickfergus, the Boyne,
Limerick, Cork, and Kinsale; and in 1702, when Princess Anne of Denmark
became Queen, the “Queen’s Regiment” embarked for the Continent, and
saw service at Kaiserswerth, the siege of Venloo, Ruremonde, Liege, Huy,
Limburg, Landau, Sandvilet, Menin, Ath, Lisle, Tournay, Mons, Pont-a-Vendin,
Douay, Bethune, Aire, St. Venant, and Bordeaux, and the battles od
Schellenberg, Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde, Malplaquet, and Arleux.
In the Jacobite rising of 1715 it shared in the disaster at
Bumblane, and the following year received the new title of the “King’s
Regiment of Foot,” with the badge of the white horse of Hanover on a red
field, and the motto “Nec aspera terrent”; but the latter was not
placed on the colours until 1846.
The king’s was at Dettingen and Fomtenoy (1743-45); at Falkirk
and Culloden (1746); at Roucoux and Val (1746-47); at Warburg, Zierenburg,
Campen, Kirch Denkern, Eimbeck, Groebenstein, and Cassel (1760-62); at the
Cedars and Fort Stannix, in Canada (1776-77); at Nimeguen (1794); and in
the Egyptian campaign of 1801, at Aboukir, Alexandria, and Cairo.
The 8th took part in the expedition to Copenhagen in
1807, and to the West Indies in 1809, when Martinique was captured; and
then took an active part in the campaign of 1813-14, fighting at Ogdenburg-when
two colours were captured-Fort George, Sackett’s Harbour, Stoney Creek,
Forty-Mile Creek, Beaver Dams, Black Rock, Buffalo, Chippawa, Niagara,
Fort Erie, Snake Hill, and Plattsburg, for which good services the word
“Niagara” was placed on the colours.
During the Mutiny the 1st battalion was in India, and
did good work at Dehli, at Bolundshuhur and Alighur, at Agra, Lucknow, and
Cawnpore, and the operations in Oude.
A second battalion, raised in 1756, became the 63rd;
another, raised in 1804 and disbanded in 1815, was in the Walcheren
Expedition, and was in Canada from 1809 to 1814.
During the winter of the latter year six companies marched on snow-
shoes through the roads from New Brunswick to Quebec, and served at
Plattsburg. The present 2nd
battalion was raised in 1858, and added “Peiwar Kotal” and
“Afghanistan, 1878-80” to the “honours,” for gallant services in
that war under Sir Frederick Roberts. It also served with Prendergast in
Burmah. The scarlet uniform
had originally yellow facings, altered to royal blue in 1715, also when
the badge of the white horse was added. The white horse, with the regiment mental name and title
laurelled, is on the button, and on the helmet and waist-plate (with the
motto); the white horse and Garter is worn on the forage- cap.
The tunic collars have the Lancaster rose, with 2King’s” below
it. Though not entitled
“Royal,” the officers’ forage- caps have the scarlet band.
The badges are the royal cipher within the Garter, crowned, the
white horse within the Garter, crowned, and the Sphinx with “Egypt.”
The lion is also used as a collar-badge.
It is the only regiment that has Old English lettering for its
badges. The two Militia
battalions were formed from the 2nd Royal Lancashire battalion,
and the men wear on their forage- caps the “rose” within a wreath.
The Volunteer battalions are all Lancashire regiments with the
exception of that from the Isle of Man (scarlet and blue), which is
attached. They are the 1st
(green and black), the 5th and 18th (green and
scarlet), the 13th, 15th, and 19th
(scarlet and blue). The only
nickname is the “King’s,” or, in the last century, the “King’s
Hanoverian White Horse.” The depot was in Warrington..